Commentaries and select essays
For commentaries on the 2020 West Coast fires ~
* LA Times: The other contagion.
* SF Chronicle: California and the Big Blowup
* Writers on the Range (with Jack Cohen): HIZ, HERZ, History
* History News Network: The Case for FireStop II
* The Hill: Driving fire
* Der Spiegel: Interview Q&A
* Science editorial: Fire in Our Future
* Yale Environment 360: Paradoxes of the Pyrocene
* LA Times: Fire's Dust Bowl Moment
* Wall Street Journal: Year of the fires
Welcome to the Pyrocene.
A meditation on the 2016 Fort McMurray fire as a symbol of the two fires, one burning living landscapes and the other, lithic landscapes, that together define our era.
The Pleistocene's Ice Ages are seguing into the Anthropocene's Fire Age . A thumbnail history of fire on Earth and the role of fire's keystone species.
What do do with Smokey Bear?
Time to let him retire, with honor, and turn over the task to his cubs.